Sunday, April 11, 2010

More from Jeff collection



On this tape, Tape 7 side A, I used a noise reduction feature on my audio edit software and while it did a great job reducing the typical hiss and pops found on these older recordings, it also lowered the audio level quite a bit.

When I have time, I'll go back and see if there are other level adjustments to bring up the volume without distortion.

I particularly like both these recordings - I believe all will enjoy them; they are must downloads.
Flipper - Life (The only thing worth living for)
Joy Division - Dead Souls
Wire - Blessed State
The Stranglers - Vietnamerica
Music recap - (Is this Dave or Dj Milo?)
Bill Nelson - A Private View
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Iconic Storage
The Specials - Ghost Town
Jacob Miller - Once Upon a Time
Augustus Pablo - Herbal Weed Dub
Creation Rebel - Rebel Party

Turns out REM was to be in the studio for an interview and they were late. Anyone remember this interview or perhaps when they would have been in concert around this time?

Tape 7 Side A with Noise Reduction (Thanks Uncle Jim & Jugdish for figuring this out- this tape is Tape 5 Side B from the Early Morning Upload).
Okay, turns out the download with Noise Reduction on it is actually another tape which I'll have to investigate - so, download both. I'll tell you, this tape is also great and actually very clean audio.

Tracks -
Gang of Four - Damaged Goods
Family Fodder - Symbols (From the album Monkey Banana Kitchen)
Orchestre Rouge - Red Orange and Blue
The Clash - Straight to Hell
Music Recap by Sarah
The Suburbs - Flag of Convenience
The Suburbs - Waiting
DEVO - Out of Sync
Pete Shelly - Telephone Operator
Bill Nelson - UHF
Peter Gabriel - Perspective

Don't forget to download both of these are they are different recordings. Please post your feelings on if you like with NR or not. If the audio level is okay - I may add the NR to other tapes. (Turns out everyone likes the NR off and I agree).

As always, please come back and leave comments.

8 comments:

Camarillo Brillo said...

Hey Naples!!
Glad to see these posted!
Are any of these tapes dated?
I would say the tape with the noise reduction is too low in volume and limits the fifelity too much. I would prefer you record them as they are and we can back off the treble if they get a bit noisey.
Can't thank you enough for the hard work involved!

Anonymous said...

GC!!! after the Clash, "Straight to Hell" the DJ is Sarah....I don't know how the originals sound but I think I would go without Noise Reduction...I think the hiss and pops are a good thing!!! BTW (Family Fodder... Thanks friend!!!!
Jeff_M

NaplesGC said...

Funny - Family Fatter - I knew better and not sure how it became Fatter. Families are Fatter now a days though. Yeah, I'm not going to use the NR any more and you are right, hiss and pops make it what it is, an original recording off the radio from vinyl.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My guess is that the first tape is from Oct. 6, 1983. According to an R.E.M. timeline, they had recorded a segment for the Letterman show in New York that afternoon and were to play the Ontario the next night (the 7th). That accounts for Dave's comment about them having a "busy day."

The second tape is one of the sides from Sunday's post.

Keep 'em coming (and keep the NR off--we can suffer with a little static)!

Unknown said...

PS, I think the DJ is Milo, not David.

jugdish said...

I think the second tape is the same as 5B that was posted a few days ago. Sounds like the same stuff - Gang of Four, Clash, and the same tape length. Any idea what the real tape number is?

Again, thanks to everyone for digging these tapes out, ripping them, and posting them!

fc from pg

Phil said...

Tape 6 seems to have been recorded right before this since REM is expected in the studio. The DJ is Milo. At 44:00 or so in Tape 6 Side B, Milo gives the weather and says "I guess that's what March is about."