Thursday, April 15, 2010

"B" sides always get a bad rap...



Remember on those 45's where the side B might as well have not even been there? Or, at least that what's was thought, being that the main cut on side "A"was what was being promoted by the record label. I'd love to hear a compilation of just "B" sides some day and see if it was truly only about promotion or if the "B" side songs are really just that bad, or, should I say, just not as good as side A. So, a simple search on my premise has returned just that compilation. (Seems as though this compilation is of more recent mostly 90's and 00's "B" sides). Can anyone name some "B" sides that turned out to be hits? Maybe just a "B" side you liked?

Any comments on "B" side successes? The Wiki take on "B" sides -

I'll start first, Side B of the Jeff Collection, Tape 12!

Proudly get Side B of Tape 12 here and enjoy!

July 4th, 1983 (Does anyone remember what they were doing on July 4th 1983?)
Here Today- Whistle in the Yard (Loved this song way back then and still today!)
UPI News (Great to hear the old news and eerie to hear how similar to today.)
Depeche Mode - Tora Tora Tora
New Order - Age of Consent
Flag of Convenience - Life on the Telephone
Tears for Fears - Change
DJ music recap
Thanks Jeff for the rest of these artists and song titles!
Pete Shelley - If You Ask Me (I won't say no)
Pete Shelley - Millions of People (no one like you)
David Bowie - Richochet
Nona Hendryx - Transformation
????

As always, please come back and leave comments.

P.S. Please don't get used to these early morning postings. I am seriously not a morning person but since my 16 year old dog Winston with stage 4 renal failure feels the need to go out then eat his first meal of the day at 5AM, so here I am. I'm glad I have something to do though. Today I'm finishing up earlier so I can now get some more shut eye b/4 work.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

One "B" side that turned out to be a hit--"Fingertips Part 2" by Stevie Wonder. Or how about "Rock and Roll Part 2" by Gary Glitter?

Anonymous said...

in case anyone is interested in the remainder of the playlist after the recap:
Pete Shelley "If You Ask Me (I won't say no)"
Pete Shelley "Millions of People (no one like you)"
David Bowie "Richochet"
Nona Hendryx "Transformation"
????
Jeff M.

NaplesGC said...

Thanks Jeff. Sometimes I will take more time to figure who the artist is and the song title if there is no recap and well, sometimes I don't.
=-)

Camarillo Brillo said...

Thanks again Jeff and Naples!

matthew langley said...

"la bamba" was the b side to "donna'