Sunday, September 5, 2010

WKDU Philadelphia

So, it seems those in Philly had WKDU in the 70s & 80's just as those of us in the DC area had WHFS. I had never heard of this station but from listening to the only tape sent I like what I heard. There's no DJ's on this upload, and as Jeff said, who would have known years later it would have cool to have the DJs, but the music speaks to their non-conformance to pop-top 40 stations. 

From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WKDU

WKDU is an award winning non-commercial college radio station located in Philadelphia, USA, broadcasting on 91.7 FM. It is owned and operated by Drexel University students, with several Drexel alumni among its on-air staff. It is the only free-format non-commercial FM station in Philadelphia.


WKDU's musical format is free-form, meaning that playlists are dictated solely by the taste of the on-air DJs. On an average day, one might hear punk, electronica, indie rock, acid jazz, J-pop or metal.

Get the tape here

As always - please leave a comment

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

New Musik - "While You Wait"
The Equators - "Baby Come Back"
The Members - "Working Girl"
The Golant Pistons - "Friday On My Mind"
The Hitmen - "Bates Motel"
Classix Nouveaux - "Tokyo"
Way of the West - "Don't Say That's Just for White Boys"
Depeche Mode - "Dreaming Of Me"
New Musik - "Science"
????? - "When I Was Young"
????? - "?????"
Tommy Keene - "Back to Zero"

Jeff_M

NaplesGC said...

Thanks for the song recap Jeff! I am def going to check out some of those groups.

Can you give us the story when you recorded this Philly tape?

Anonymous said...

Hey GC!!! Thank you!!! Well I'm going to say 1982/83...I had to go to Jacksonville, Fla to record it off my old shipmate..it's a tape of a tape with really bad equiptment but still not too bad quality.
The songs with the question marks I have no idea who it is on this tape or any others...so if anyone can help out??? If you need any songs that I do have and most listed I have in MP3 format, I would be happy to share.
Thanks!!!
Jeff_M

DrJackGross said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DrJackGross said...

I do love the college radio stations.

Anonymous said...

Dj jazzy jeff and the fresh prince. lol not quite. Thanks for the intrigue. See you around.

Unknown said...

Ah lovely child! When your children play or exercise outdoors, have thought about your child's feet to the protection of it? Come vibrams look, there will be unexpected gains.

rscredits said...

buy rs gold by phone onebip or sms from Safe Store Rsorder a professional runescape gold seller. All cheap rs gold is transferred without cheats or hacks. rs gold can be supplied anytime. Fast in-game delivery within 10 minutes!cheapest runescape gold for you!

Anonymous said...

buy rs gold
It attracts most of the people, and it's the most important thing about the article, it's a wonderful blog, and it's a great blog, and I'm a game enthusiast, and I can find what you like
rsgp