Friday, March 12, 2010

14 new WHFS tapes arrived!

Thanks to Jeff M. from No. VA for shipping his prized possessions. Jeff found my WHFS & other great music blog about a month ago and we have had great dialog via email since. The tapes arrived this week and now I'm setting my sites to this weekend when I can start dubbing the tapes then starting the uploading process.

I've listened to one already tonight while doing other online work and I can tell from this first tape we are all in for a treat. The first tape had Sarah at the helm with some great sets including I would say a rare U.S. radio play of Men Without Hats Safety Dance in what sounded like German.

For all you 102.3 heads the count is 9 102.3 to 5 99.1 tapes. The tapes are all Memorex MRX1 tapes, a mainstay in the 80s.

So, keep checking back over the next few weeks for the Jeff M. collection.

Naplesgc

8 comments:

Camarillo Brillo said...

Looking forward to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I posted the last of Dave B's tapes yesterday...3 90 minute tapef from the last hours in Bethesda...

Unknown said...

Woo Hoo! Glad to see you back, and with a huge load of goodies!

NaplesGC said...

16 40-45 minute sides on the computer now with 8 more sides to go. Will try and get them up for download soon.

Unknown said...

Sweet!!! Listened to the Weasel for 3 years in the 70's as well as other djs. Our fall back channel just in case was WGTB. Thanks for the posts and the mems!!

jugdish said...

I'm looking forward to grabbing the new Jeff M tapes. Will there be any more posts of the 10 tapes that Geoff sent in last October too? thanks!

Camarillo Brillo said...

Inquiring minds want to know! (-;

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to hearing these. I grew up in Hagerstown in the 70's where one couldn't get the signal unless one had a very tall directional antenna. We would drive up to the top of South Mountain and park at night just to listen. After HS I moved away to do the peoples work down south. During the mid 80's I was sent to Baltimore where I moonlighted driving a cab. The day I moved back to MD I tuned my radio to 99.1 and the only three tabs were WHFS, Pacifica out of DC, and NPR. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And thanks to Camarillo for pointing me here.

Jake Ziller

Dino Delray said...

That's really cool that you did this. I have a radio show, if you ever would like to visit on air and talk about the old days of D.C. music, etc. Dino Delray 89.7WSHC.